Generic Boat Covers
Boat covers are an excellent way to keep boats safe when theyre not in use. To ensure full protection, however, boat owners need to find covers that fit properly. They should also select a cover with the features they need, including construction material, fit, and UV protection.How do you measure a boat model for a cover?
Before selecting a cover, its important to have the right measurements. To ensure a correctly fitted boat cover, measure the boat from the tip of the bow to the stern. The windshield should not be included in the measurement; this could lead to the purchase of a cover that is too long for the boat. Other important measurements include the width of transom, the width of the beam, and the widest part of the boat. With these measurements in hand, owners can start to search for the right sized cover for their boat.What sizes of boat covers are commonly offered?
Boat covers come in many sizes and shapes. Some of the most prevalent sizes include:
- 14-16 feet
- 17-19 feet
- 20-22 feet
There are three main materials used to construct boat covers. They are all sturdy and durable, providing boat owners with excellent protection. These materials include:
- Poly-cotton blend
- Polyester canvas
Denier refers to the thickness of the fibers used to make the boat cover material. The thicker the fibers, the better protection the boat cover offers. Many covers have denier measurements of 300 to 600.What features do boat covers have?
Boat owners should choose a cover that best suits their needs. Climate and storage space are major considerations when choosing a boat cover. Boats in humid climates, for example, need breathable covers, as anything else could lead to mold. The available boat cover features include:
- Water Resistant: Almost all boat covers are water resistant, protecting boats from the harmful effects of rain and moisture.
- Mildew Resistant: Mildew resistant covers are treated to prevent the production of mold.
- UV Protection: UV protection is essential. Without it, harmful UV rays can damage the boat over years of exposure.
- Reinforced Seams: Every time the cover is used, the seams are stretched. If the seams arent fully reinforced, they can stretch and even break, leaving boat owners with an ill-fitting or damaged boat cover.
- Straps: To ensure that the cover doesnt fly off the boat due to wind, its important to select one with sturdy straps. Elasticized webbing and durable straps ensure that covers stay tight regardless of the weather.
- Trailer-appropriate: Boat owners who frequently trailer their boat should find a trailer-appropriate cover. A trailer-appropriate cover usually includes extra straps that provide on-the-road security.