Jeep TJ Tailgates and Liftgates
The Jeep TJ is a Jeep Wrangler model that was produced between 1996 and 2006. Although the vehicle is no longer in production, its easy to find replacement parts for the liftgate and tailgate. When you need to repair your vehicle, the selection of Jeep and aftermarket components that are available can help you fix your liftgate.What is a Jeep lift support used for?
A lift support, which is also called a lift strut or shock, is the arm that holds up the liftgate on your Wrangler. When you flip up the window on the Jeep, the lift support keeps it open. Most supports feature a telescoping metal rod with a shock absorber. This shock absorber flexes slightly to accommodate the weight of the window. One end of the support attaches to a bracket on the inside edge of the Jeeps window. The other end attaches to the top edge of the Wranglers tailgate.What are some components of the Jeep Wrangler TJ tailgate?
The tailgate of the Jeep Wrangler features a variety of components, each of which can be replaced. Whether you’re searching for a full tailgate assembly or an individual louver, it’s important to know what you need and what is included. Some Jeep TJ tailgate components include:
- Tailgate: This large, flat panel is the body of the tailgate. It is constructed from metal and opens and closes to allow access to the back of your Jeep.
- Gate latch: The latch keeps the Wranglers tailgate closed. Each latch assembly features two parts: the latch itself, which mounts on the body of your Wrangler; and the latch pin, which mounts on the tailgate.
- Louver: These small, metal vent panels allow air to flow freely, equalizing the pressure as you drive your Jeep TJ.
- Tailgate bar: This bar sits on the top of the Jeep TJs tailgate, providing a mounting spot for the soft top of the vehicle.
- Tailgate hinges: These heavy-duty steel hinges support the weight of your Wranglers tailgate and enable it to swing open and closed.
This Jeep Wrangler model was manufactured in both hardtop and soft-top styles. The liftgate design varies based on the year and model of your vehicle.
- Hard-top liftgate: On hard-top Jeep Wrangler models, the liftgate usually has a flip-up rear window. If you’re repairing this Jeep model, you might also need hinges, a weather seal, and a latch.
- Soft-top liftgate: Soft-top Jeep Wranglers don’t always have a movable liftgate. Your TJ may feature a plastic rear window that you can disconnect to reach into the back of the Wrangler. Other models feature a sturdy glass or plastic window that operates as a normal Wrangler liftgate. Be sure to check the frame of your Jeep TJ to ensure the correct fit.