Rockford Fosgate Car Audio Amplifiers
Installing a car audio amplifier upgrade can deliver more power, definition, clarity, and range to the music and other sound content you listen to in your car. The right amplifier set for you depends on both the characteristics of the amp and the type of audio you prefer. It's also important to select a new amp that is compatible with the equipment you already have in your car.What should you look for in a Rockford Fosgate amp?
A Rockford Fosgate amp has several characteristics that determine how well it will fit with any given car audio system. To get quality sound performance from your amp, you'll want a model that meets your needs and works with what you already have. When considering your choices, keep these factors in mind:
- Channels: These can range from one to eight. The number of channels determines how many devices you can connect, assuming each one can amplify one device, such as a speaker or subwoofer. It's also possible to increase the power output by bridging two channels to amplify a single subwoofer.
- Power: The power or watts can vary dramatically from model to model. To ensure you will have enough power, determine the needs of your speakers. Look for a Rockford Fosgate model that provides from 75% to 150% of the watts your speaker needs.
- Compatibility: The options for compatibility depend on whether you have a head unit with preamp outputs. If your head unit does not have preamp outputs, consider an option with speaker level inputs to improve your audio quality.
A Rockford Fosgate amp kit includes the additional equipment you need to install your amplifier. Some Rockford Fosgate amplifiers come with an amp kit included. If you're purchasing an amp kit separately from your amplifier, be sure to select one designated for the wattage and other specifications of your amp. A kit may include some or all of the following items:
- Wiring for power and ground
- Wiring for speakers
- Fuses and fuse holders
- Batteries and battery terminals
- Distribution blocks and hardware
- Capacitor hardware
A mono amp is designed specifically to produce a single signal that works with an individual component like a subwoofer. It's also possible to hook a subwoofer up to one channel or bridge to two channels on any car amplifier.