Your Options in Laptop Keyboard Protectors for Dell
Keyboard covers provide some protection for a laptop's keyboard. For convenience, they usually slide right on top of the keyboard as one layer rather than multiple small covers. Dell laptop owners have many options in protectors, such as thin silicone skins, clear thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) protectors, and white soft-skin covers.What is a keyboard protector?
A keyboard protector is a cover that you can place over your Dell laptop's keyboard to help protect the keys from dust and dirt. When you have a Dell laptop keyboard protector over the keyboard, you reduce the impact on the keys. Some people use these products to reduce the need to clean the keyboard as well as to prolong its life. You could also use a keyboard cover for aesthetic reasons.What are some things to look for in protectors for Dell keyboards?
Possible materials a keyboard protector may be made of are plastic, silicone, polyurethane, and TPU. Polyurethane is a type of plastic that can be either rigid or flexible. If you don't want to change the look of your Dell keyboard, you can find clear protectors. Universal silicone keyboard protector skins are simple, transparent sheets that will work with any laptop, but they will not offer a custom fit. If you want something more distinctive, color options include pink, blue, purple, red, yellow, white, and rainbow.How do you choose the right keyboard protector?
Because laptop keyboards vary in design and spacing, verify that the keyboard cover is of a compatible brand. Also, note which country's keyboard version you have. U.S. versions differ from European ones. With the most important factors out of the way, you can think about what color or design you want. Clear covers allow you to maintain the look of your laptop. Colored keyboard covers can provide a splash of color that you might find attractive.How do you put a keyboard cover on?
To install a keyboard cover on your laptop, follow these steps:
- Turn the computer off. If the keyboard is wireless, remove the battery.
- Eliminate any crumbs in the keys with a can of compressed air.
- Wet a lint-free cloth with isopropyl rubbing alcohol and clean the keys carefully as you don't want any water dripping into the crevices.
- When the keys are dry, place the keyboard cover on top with the keys aligned.
- Reinstall the battery if needed, turn on the computer, and use as usual.
Most laptop keyboard covers are washable. Silicone protectors should be washed frequently. To wash a silicone cover, do the following:
- Remove the cover while being careful to not spill any crumbs or other debris onto your laptop.
- Over a trash can or other receptacle, shake the crumbs and other debris off the cover.
- Wash it with lukewarm water and mild detergent.
- Rinse the soap from the cover thoroughly after you finish washing it.
- Air-dry the cover on a dry cloth.
- Once it's dry, you can put it back on your laptop.