Perfumes for Women
Does Perfume Expire?
Perfume and fragrances don’t always list an expiration date on the package or bottle. However, like other cosmetic products, they do have shelf lives. Typically, a bottle of perfume lasts three to five years if stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight or heat. Consumers can tell whether a perfume is expired by the fragrance as well as changes in appearance or consistency. It is probably time to throw it away if the fragrance has noticeably changed or becomes discolored at the bottom. Perfumes can also thicken over time. If you notice this, it is time to throw away your parfum.
Types of Perfume
When it comes to picking a perfume for that special woman in your life, it’s important to understand the different types available. What is the difference between eau de cologne, eau de toilette, and eau de parfum? What scents are currently popular? What is the difference between all of the perfumes and scents for women in packages that look similar?
There are five essential types of perfumes. Each has its own key differences:
- Perfume: Scents labeled as perfume contain the highest percent of scent extract when compared to the other products. The scent is typically heavier and oilier than other products. Typically, perfume contains 15-40% essential oil. These are easy to identify as they are often listed on the label.
- Eau de perfume: This type of fragrance has the next to highest concentration of essence. It contains 10-15% perfume essence concentration. It also has a slightly higher alcohol and water content in it. Because of this, Eau de Perfume usually does not have the longevity of most perfumes.
- Eau de toilette: This type of fragrance has between 4-15% concentration of the essential oil in its formula. It is very light and is often packaged in a spray bottle. This formula has a low concentration of perfume oils mixed into a higher alcohol or water content. The fragrance has a tendency to dissipate quickly and is made for daily use.
- Eau de cologne: Most colognes are listed as male fragrances, but there are still many female colognes. These products contain between 2-5% fragrance oil concentration. This is also a very inexpensive product. You will almost never see high-end perfume listed as a cologne.
- Eau fraiche: This is the most inexpensive, and the lowest concentration of essential perfume fragrance, between 1-3%. This product will only last about an hour.
10 Most Popular Perfumes
Knowing which women’s perfume is popular can always be helpful when it’s time to choose a special parfum gift. Here at the 10 most popular women’s scents:
- Viva La Juicy
- Marc Jacob’s Daisy Eau de Toilette
- Elizabeth Arden Red Door Eau de Parfum
- Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium
- Gucci Bloom Eau de Parfum
- Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds Women’s Eau de Toilette
- Vera Wang Princess
- Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
- Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Eau de Toilette
- Dior J’adore Eau de Toilette for Women
How to Choose a Perfume
When trying to find the right scent for someone else there are certain things that you should consider when doing this:
- Know what they like. If you know what they like, buy them another bottle. You could also You could also do a little online research to find scents that are similar to the fragrance they use.
- Make it personal. Use things like the name of the perfume, and how the name reminds you of that person, or has something in the name that reminds you of a special moment the two of you shared.
- Consider how long the scent lasts. Remember that the more essence used in the concentration, the longer the scent will last. You might even consider a perfume gift set that includes various types of scents. It might include a long-lasting scent and a body spray as well as some scented lotion. Many also include an attractive tote bag.
- Consider the price. Of course, eBay is a great place to get name brand perfumes that make a great gift at reduced prices!
Why Do Perfumes Smell Different from Person to Person?
The same perfume smells different from one person to another because the chemical composition of everyone's skin is unique. A perfume might react differently with one person's chemistry than it does with the next person's chemistry. Skin is made up of water, salt, hair, fibers, proteins, acids, and fats, and the proportion of those varies. This affects your natural scent and whatever you put on top of it. Your diet can also affect the way you smell and how your skin reacts to perfumes.
Are There Perfumes That Are Safe for People with Perfume Allergies?
Some people are extremely sensitive to scents and perfumes. There are all-natural and hypoallergenic perfumes available that should not bother people with allergies, as they are made from plants and oils, with no harsh chemicals.