Toyota 4Runner Car and Truck Exterior Mirrors
The exterior mirrors on your Toyota SUV allow you to keep an eye on the road around you. If a mirror should break or you need to replace it for some other reason, there are a variety of side view mirror options to choose from including manual or power mirrors. Before making a decision, there are some important factors to consider.What are power side view mirrors for vehicles?
There are two main types of mirrors that you can install on a Toyota 4Runner truck: manual mirrors and power mirrors. While manual mirrors do not need electricity to work, power mirrors draw power from your Toyotas battery. This gives them the ability to offer many different features:
- Lights: Some power mirrors have signal lights and puddle lights. The signal lights activate when you turn your signal on. Puddle lights illuminate the ground next to your door when you open it.
- Heat: Some mirrors have defoggers or defrosters built in to melt the snow and ice off your mirror.
- Folding: Mirrors with electric folding will fold in toward your Toyota when you turn the truck off.
There are several reasons you may want to go with aftermarket side view mirrors over OEM side view mirrors for your Toyota 4Runner model.
- Additional functions: Even if your vehicle is already wired for a power side view mirror, not all power mirrors are made the same. Aftermarket mirrors may offer additional lighting options, like puddle lights, or even memory settings. If you tow or haul cargo, you can get telescopic or towing mirrors that give you an extended view of your surroundings.
- Different materials: Most stock mirrors that come with vehicles are made from metal, which is heavy and hard to repair. You can opt for mirror housings that are made from aluminum, carbon fiber, or plastic.
- Different finishes: Many stock mirrors are painted to match your vehicles trim. By going with aftermarket mirrors, you have more control over the color or the textured finish of your parts.
If the original side view mirror has already been removed from your Toyota 4Runner, installing a replacement can be a relatively quick and painless process. To replace a side view mirror, there are several steps that should be taken.
- Step 1: Ensure that the side view mirror has been painted to the specifications that are desired before beginning the replacement process.
- Step 2: Insert the new mirror into the cavity left by the old mirror. If the replacement mirror is powered, you will need to thread the wiring through the hole first.
- Step 3: Once the wiring has been connected, the bolts can be reattached and tightened with a socket wrench. If the mirror is powered, the wire harness should be clipped back into place after the bolts have been tightened.
- Step 4: If the mirror is powered, check to ensure the mirror is working as intended before replacing the access panel.
- Step 5: Replace any insulation or rubber seals that were removed. Finally, you can snap or screw the access panel back into place.