What to Look for When Shopping for a DIRECTV Meter
When you're setting up a DIRECTV system, satellite meters can help you tune your system to nearby DIRECTV transponders. These meters make it easy to install and to troubleshoot DIRECTV receiver technology. eBay has a variety of new and used signal finders for sale.What is the purpose of these DIRECTV meters?
These meters are designed to tune satellite receivers to national and local DIRECTV spot beams. They're used by both hobbyists and professionals to locate desired satellite signals, which makes it easier to position satellite dishes for optimal signal reception.What features do DIRECTV meters have?
These satellite meters come with a variety of features, including:
- Displays and keypads: Most of these meters have LED displays and touchpads, which help users read meter data and select various metering modes. Displays often have instructions that help users navigate the dish installation process.
- Measuring capabilities: Meters let users gauge a variety of data, including cable resistance, kHz tone, voltage, and in-line current.
- Removable batteries: The majority of meters are battery powered. The batteries are usually placed in easy-to-remove areas, which makes maintenance a breeze.
- Ergonomic grip: Dish installation often involves heights. To make sure users don't drop their DIRECTV meters halfway through installation, most devices feature ergonomic rubber grips.
- Transponder surveys: Meters can be used to perform a complete transponder survey, which can be useful when troubleshooting.
- Faulty equipment identification: If the dish installation isn't proceeding smoothly, these meters have features that can identify which piece of equipment isn't working right.
- USB ports: Look for meters with USB ports because this allows you to update your firmware when necessary.
- Extended Installation Verification or EIV: This feature is used after ODU alignment to ensure that the dish positioning is appropriate.
Many DIRECTV meters come with a few extra components and accessories. They include:
- Carrying case and shoulder strap
- 100 to 240 power adapter
- Vehicle power adapter
- Cable test load
- USB drive and/or connector
- Battery pack
- Installation manual
When you're shopping for an inexpensive DIRECTV meter on eBay, you'll probably come across plenty of AIM satellite meters. AIM meters are designed by DIRECTV in collaboration with Trilithic and Indesign. This means that they're customized for DIRECTV satellite receiver system, and they may have features other meters don't have. You can find meters made by other brands that are also compatible with many DIRECTV systems. If you simply want to tune your DIRECTV dish to the right signal, meters from brands like Solid Signal and SureCall might suffice.