Scion tC Bumpers
Your Scion tC bumper is designed to absorb low-speed impacts, keeping you and your Toyota vehicle safe when you drive. In general, they provide protection for important components such as the headlights, tail lights, exhaust, and cooling systems. When looking for a new bumper, there are certain things that buyers should be aware of.What components make up a car bumper?
There are five main components that make up a Scion bumper. These components include the following:
- Bumper frame and cover: The frame is usually made from steel. It spans from one side of the Scion coupe to the other and creates the setting for the bumper cover. The cover itself may be made of steel, fiberglass, carbon fiber, or aluminum. It serves as the outer shell and provides minimal protection.
- Brackets and mounting hardware: This tC bumper component, usually made of steel, connects the bumper frame to the Scion tCs chassis. The mounting hardware attaches all of the pieces of the bumper together.
- Crush cans and absorbents: These are made of either rubber bushings or thick fiber pads. They absorb and reduce the severity of impacts.
- Bumper shocks: These components have spring-loaded or hydraulic tubes that rebound once the impact has been absorbed.
- Trim strips: These make first contact with the object. They also serve as a decorative trim on the bumper and protect the finish on the bumper.
There are three places where you will find bumpers on a Scion tC. These places include the following:
- The front: Front bumpers are located on the front of the Scion tC. Their job is to protect your engine and yourself from impacts from other objects.
- The rear: Located on the back end of your Scion, this bumper protects you and your Toyota vehicle from impacts that come from behind. Like the front bumper, the rear bumper should also have a spot for your license plate.
- Body kits: Some drivers decide to customize their Scion tC by installing a skirt around the body of the Toyota vehicle. These bumpers reduce the amount of airflow that gets underneath the Scion.
You can easily replace your coupes bumper by following the steps outlined below.
- Apply lubricant to the lug nuts that are holding the old bumper to the Scion tC chassis. Once the lug nuts have been thoroughly lubricated for about five minutes, use a wrench to remove them.
- Lift the bumper straight up off the chassis to remove it.
- Remove the bolts from the old bumper. Install them on the new bumper.
- Set the new bumper down on the chassis. The bolts should extend through all of the holes in the chassis.
- Add the lug nuts and tighten them using a wrench.