What to Know About Black and White Laser Printers
When you want to print a large number of documents fast, you may need a printer that can handle the volume. Laser printers are printers that use a laser to fuse toner to paper. Due to the technology they use, these monochrome printers are able to help complete tasks more quickly regardless of whether you are working at home or in an office.What types of black and white laser printers are there?
There are two main types of laser printers that only print in black and white. They are:
- Printer only: These monochrome devices are only able to print documents and photographs. However, they are generally smaller than a multifunction printer, so you can fit them into smaller spaces like a home office.
- Multifunction printer: These laser printers feature a number of different capabilities, including the ability to scan, copy, and even fax documents. Due to the number of functions that they have, they are often larger than devices that only print. However, they can be a handy workstation for those who need to print, scan, and fax all at once.
Laser printers use a type of powdered ink called toner. This powder comes with a toner cartridge, making it a quick and easy task to refill the printer when you run out. Monochrome printers only use a black toner cartridge to print documents as they do not print in color.What built-in features should you consider?
Because printers are often an essential work tool, there are some features you may want to consider. These features include:
- Duplexing: A duplex printer is capable of printing on both sides of a sheet of paper. Not only does this prevent paper waste, this two-sided feature can cut down on the size of larger documents. It should be noted that not all printers have this ability, so this is a feature you may want to specifically look for if you need or want it.
- Paper handling: Different printer models are able to handle different size paper. Most can up to the A4 size, so you may need to look at other printers if you need to print on larger paper. Further, some printers are capable of printing on cardstock and even envelopes if they have an all-purpose tray.
- Connectivity: Most laser printers have a USB port but some also have Wi-Fi capabilities. This allows you to connect the printer to a wireless network so that more people can access it. If you are using the printer at home, having wireless capabilities may allow you to print from either your laptop or a tablet.
- Ease of use: This refers to how easy the device is to add to the wireless network, access the paper tray, or even changing out the toner cartridge. A touchscreen with a clear menu system can also make the printer easy to use.